Friday, March 18, 2011

Orientation Week

So I've been a horrible blogger....but this week has been B.U.S.Y. ---Let me catch you up (don't worry...there were no blood, guts, or dead animals).....

It was orientation week...and while it was pretty boring content....we had a super fun class and I got the chance to meet some pretty fun people. There were 9 of us (going to different units of course)...all learning lots of fun stuff about what we'd be doing on a daily basis in our unit...the equipment we'd be using/operating and some basic skills. First we watched lots of boring videos about what to do in a fire and whether related emergencies (b/c we do have tornadoes here), how to call codes and rapid responses, what to do in the event of a chemical spill and procedures on other hazardous materials, bloodborne pathogens, mandatory reporting, standard precautions...etc. SUPER BORING!!!

Then we got to do a BUNCH of hands on stuff....with lots of fun equipment...and that was super fun!!!
We got to play with oxygen, suction, and monitors for feeding tubes, ted hose (that are used to promote circulation) and other circulation devices for bed bound patients who don't get to get up and move around to prevent blood clots etc. We also got to play with ergonomic equipment---stuff to make our jobs easier---like the stedy (this super cool walker looking thing that has this area that the patient can step into and sit down in to be pushed if they need to get where they're going asap--like to use the potty), maxislides (that reduce friction on the skin--which causes skin breakdown--and helps in transferring patients up on the bed), maxisky (that looks like a hanger on the ceiling and is motorized that you can attach a patient in a sling to transfer them to different beds etc). Then we got to learn how to give bed baths (which I'm NOT looking forward to), make beds while you're giving bed baths (and make beds in general), how to place patients on bed pans (again, not looking forward to)...and measure....EVERYTHING....I&O (intake and output--and yes that means pee, poop, emisis--vomit, sputum and what the patient eats and drinks), vital signs (temperature--oral, tempanic, axillary, and rectal, pulse--and all the pulse sites, radial, brachial, femoral, pedial, coratid, respiration's, blood pressure--with a sphygmomanometer and stethoscope...thats right...the old fashion way, and pulse oximeter). We got to play with Foley Catheters, Jackson Prats, feeding tubes, NG tubes---how to clean them, empty them,  and how to measure the fluids that come from them. And we learned about blood transfusions and aaaaaalllll the rules that go along with it (your blood is serious business people).
We learned about Code Green and what is considered a restraint and a restraint alternative. And we learned AAAAALLLLLLL about docflowsheets and charting which was also pretty fun.  We also had lots of computer training which showed lots of resources for patients/their families, and us on policies and procedures (which will be uber resourceful when a nurse tells me to do something that I'm supposed to know how to do but don't). We learned protocol on admitting, transferring, and discharging patients and our role in these processes. How to collect specimens (i.e. pee and poop, emisis--or vomit, and sputum--or that gunk thats in your lungs that you cough up).
Today we learned about care of the deceased and we took a trip to decedent care (aka the morgue)...let me just say...its on the lower level of the hospital and it is S.K.E.T.C.H.Y! you have go thru these dark halls that have exposed pipes and ride this super scary freight elevator that is TERRIFYING....needless to say I don't think I'll ever be taking any trips there without a few people I trust with my life!

The highlight of the week for me was AccuChecks---these are for measuring blood glucose levels....we got to prick our own fingers which made this uber exciting. I now know that I can do it and not kill somebody--and that was reassuring. I also learned that "normal" blood sugar is whatever is normal for you....I apparently have high blood sugar....very close to being hyperglycemic. Along these same lines we learned about neuro checks, and circulation checks.
Another highlight was getting fit for scrubs (b/c we get to wear hospital scrubs and have them do our laundry---sweet!) and I was THRILLED to find out I am a petite extra small!!!! Unfortuantley I had to go buy a few pairs of scrub pants (we get to save a few extra dollars and not buy scrub tops b/c we get to wear t-shirts as our tops----double sweet!) because they had to special order my hospital scrubs....which also made me feel uber skinny and special! :)

I also had the chance to go up to my unit to get my schedule----and lets just say....I very seriously doubt I'll be having any sort of life any time soon.....I'm mostly working 2nd shift....3-11:30 and my first day is Tuesday!!!!! I have about 3 weeks with an RN to have time to orient to my specific unit and the things they do....and then I'm own my own!!!! eeeekkk!!! So I'll be in class all morning from 8am-11am/12ish and then working till 11:30/12 at night...and back up the next day to do it all over again(3-4 days a week).... I'm a little nervous to say the least....but I'm super stoked to get in and get some experience.
After this week and a couple of "tours" the hospital is finally starting to not be a complete maze to me (which is also exciting) and hopefully once clinicals start I'll be a step ahead of the rest!

No comments: