Monday, November 14, 2011

I carry your heart with me....

I would assume it safe to say that every nurse has that one patient that changes their life (and I'm pretty sure they have more than one as their career goes on) .......I said goodbye to my first one tonite. They say that we never know the lives that we touch....but I think the opposite is also true....as nurses...patients touch our lives too. As I sit here and think about it....he will forever be the reason I know I chose the right profession for me. Patient care is what I love doing....touching lives is what I love doing....and allowing special people to touch my life....is by far the best thing about my job.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I thought this post was touching. I go to a technical college that has a large number of nursing students (I'm not one of them). I often hear these girls talk about all of the money that nurses can make and the job openings. Hardly any of them seem to understand the emotional demands and the passion that someone needs to have for a career like that.

Jess said...

Thanks Robin! :) Even working as an NA at the hospital while going to school....you see such a high turn over rate when it comes to nursing....and that is a prime example of why that is....nursing isn't a job you can do for the money...and it's not a job you can fake being good at either...those girls will learn that real fast... I know that through the emotional and physical demands, nursing and patient care will always remain at the heart of everything I do! So thankful I have my job to teach me so much more than books ever could!