Monday, April 4, 2011

A quick update....

I feel soooo disconnected!!! Being without Internet or tv has SUCKED!! (not that I've had time for either in the past few weeks...but not that I have a moment to sit down and catch up....I feel uber behind...on blogs I follow, on school stuff, on facebook....on everything) This past week I have worked harder than I have ever in my life! I worked 4 nights this week, made up 2 tests (that I did less than awesome on booooo), went to class, and hosted Jillian's visit to Iowa....am I pooped or am I pooped?! I finally have 2.5 seconds to sit and catch up...so I figured I'd offer a quick update...seeing as how I feel as though I've fallen off the edge of the world....

I'm feeling more and more confident in my job...which is an uber plus considering the first day on my own is this Friday!! yikes!!! I also have to convince someone to trade schedules with me for the last week in April so I can enjoy finals and a trip to Kentucky with David's fam!! (soo much on my to do list!!)

School has proven to be a constant struggle for me this semester....with working, and adjusting to a new place I just can't seem to keep my head above water when it comes to studying and such...but hopefully will be able to pull some rabbit out of a hat by the end of the semester so I can atleast pass my classes and start over fresh next semester :( It is depressing me to say the least to be performing so awful....especially considering how awesome I did last semester :(

To round out a crazy week, I hosted my very first visitor to Iowa! Jillian came in Friday (I unfortunately had to work and take a test...which kind of sucked but she waited it out)--- Saturday we day tripped it to Chicago...and it was pretty awesome!!! I would have liked to have stayed an extra day...there is SOOOOOOO much to do there...but we hit the highlights I think....saw "The Bean" in Millennium Park, took a stroll (or 6) down the Magnificent Mile (of shopping), ate some authentic deep dish pizza at Giordano's, took a pit stop into the Chicago Tribune, admired some amazing architecture, and enjoyed the view from the top of the John Hancock Building...where we got to see a panoramic, birds eye view of the city and its surrounding states/landmarks (even Lake Michigan which was blue and looked more like an ocean).
We spent day two of Jillian's trip in Iowa (which she seemed less than thrilled about which made me kind of sad)---making a pit stop in ever cute boutique down town, ate lunch, went to Fireside Winery (my fav ever), and made a side trip to Amana and my fav ever Fern Hill antiques!!! (I guess after Chicago...Iowa is a little subpar....)

Now that I'm back in reality (class hanging over my head tomorrow, work on Wednesday, laundry in the wash, and plans of my week ahead) I'm really thinking alot about my attitude and "what the hell I'm doing here in Iowa." I've realized that this opportunity to work and go to school is the best opportunity I've had so far in my life....and I need to step up to the plate....so Iowa is no Chicago....and my dreams of living in the perfect place and having the perfect career are turning out a little less than perfect....but life isnt' about perfection...its about making the hand you've been dealt perfect for you....and while I would LOVE to be on some beach in Italy living the amazing life...I'm here...in Iowa....with a perfect opportunity to become something amazing....and I have 2 choices...I can cry everyday about how much I hate the weather, the water, the people...etc etc etc.....OR I can suck it up....step it up...and make the best out of the adventure at hand. After all, it was my choice to live somewhere completely different, and completely opposite of everything I've ever known....and that is EXACTLY what Iowa is....so instead of fearing the unknown....I'm going to give it all I've got to embrace the differences that are this lovely state. I know that after these next few years are over...I'll emerge with a completely different perspective on life....and that is all that one can hope for....

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm so proud of my Jekka for moving to the unknown! I think picking up and going somewhere new is super fun (obviously!) and I love hearing all about your adventures! Can't wait til I can visit!!!!!