Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Weekend Update

I don't know what it is about orientations...and me...but we don't get along....it always seems like what I have planned out in my head....is never what actually can happen in real life....but I guess sometimes....that's just the way it goes! The ideal way...isn't always the way things happen....ever...or at least in my case....but nothing easy ever came without a few speed bumps!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."


So I went to orientation on Thursday....and while it was a tad stressful...it was really enjoyable. As most of you remember ... quite the opposite of USC's orientation...which if you didn't get the memo was A-W-F-U-L and ended in tears! Thursday however, was encouraging...people actually helped you....and even went out of their way to help you....very very refreshing! Two thumbs up to UI and their fantabulous staff!
The day started out a very brisk negative 6 degrees....and in case you didn't know....everythings pretty much frozen at negative 6 degrees...especially power windows in your car...and ramps you have to go up in parking garages....very scary! But the morning progressed very quickly...a few quick encouraging words from the PIC (aka. "people in charge"....everyone here speaks in acronyms or shortened versions of words...you'd think we're in the military or something...weird)....and we were all off to our advising appointments....I met with my advisor early (which is a good thing b/c if you know me at all you know that if something can go wrong...it will)....and she had some grim news (or so it sounded at first)....the nursing program at UI is restructuring....so lots of classes that I don't have that I need to take don't exist yet...so I had a few options...and I finally chose one....and with a few trips between the financial aid office and back to meet with my advisor I had my plan mapped out! :)
In the interim I got to explore campus and the downtown area a little more...which was cold yet fun....and even had the opportunity to be thoroughly entertained by a waiting room full of Asians...I know this isn't "pc" but who knew there would be 4 people named Chow Wong in one waiting room....yea the lady who called their name had no clue either...everyone found it quite hysterical!
So back to the plan....I'm now going to be going to school part time...taking only 2 classes a semester for the next year....then the following fall I'll be ready for clinicals and finish up my degree by 2014...which sounds kinda crazy I know...but only going part time allows me to pay by the credit hour instead of out of state tuition which allows me to pay less money and work more in the mean time....which is uber exciting!!! So by the time I have to go full time for clinical rotations I'll be considered a resident of Iowa...and thus get to pay the in state tuition rate! And in case you didn't know...that's a woping difference of a couple thousand dollars in my pocket! The University Hospitals have lots of opportunities for students to work as nurses aids....and I can get experience and go to school too...SCORE....which was exactly what I wanted to do in the first place! So while 2014 sounds like its light years away....its really just right around the next corner...or two....
So there you have it...the new and improved revised PLAN! This plan will probably change 4 more times before I'm actually done with this....but that's ok with me....for now...I'm looking forward to finding a job and starting Intro to Animal Bio and Inorganic Chem on Tuesday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2014 so isn't that far away! Only 3 years! And you were planning on a 4 yr program in the first place. So finishing basically in the same amount of time AND being able to work is going to be awesome! You can do it twomom!!!!!

Jess said...

Yay!!! Thanks twomom!!!!! :)